CSci 1101 Lab 1 - January 24, 26
Goals of this lab:
- Introduction to your computer science lab computer account.
- Introduction to the process of editing and uploading your
files to the server (rynite).
- Introduction to file system and basic LINUX commands.
- Studying the basics of XHTML.
Tasks for the lab (Jan 24):
- Pick any machine and log in. Your login name is the first 6
letters of your last name (or your entire last name if it's shorter
than 6 letters) followed by your initials (first name and middle
name), all in lower case. The password will be announced in
- First thing you need to do is to change your
password. Double-click on the terminal icon at the top of the window
to open the command prompt window. Type passwd. You will be
asked to type in your current password and then your new password
twice. Your password must have at least two different kinds of
symbols, such as letters, digits, and punctuation marks. Make
sure to remember your new password.
Uploading the initial web pages (Jan 26):
- Pick any machine and log in.
- Start the browser by either clicking on its icon or by typing
firefox & in the terminal window.
- In the browser go to the web page example http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~elenam/1101_spring06/examples/a_very_simple_web_page.html
(note that the page name has underscores in it:
and view the page source.
- Start jEdit text editor: go to the Applications menu, choose
Programming, and then choose jEdit.
- Copy/paste the page source into the jEdit window and save it as
- Upload the file to the server by typing (in the terminal window)
The password for this account will be announced in
- Create a directory (folder)
images by typing
mkdir images at the command prompt in terminal
- Download the images used for the sample page into the folder
images (it will be in your
- Upload the entire folder into your public_html on rynite:
scp -r images rynite:public_html
- View your page at
(replace yourloginname with your login name). Make sure the
page shows up as it should.
- Validate this page by copy/pasting its URL into XHTML validator. Caution: the URL
should contain the full domain name of the server:
rynite.morris.umn.edu (using just
would work for viewing pages in the lab, but will not work in the
validator). There should be one error: using
Changing the web page
In this part of the lab you are asked to experiment with the given web
page. Please feel free to change other things as well, the more you
experiment - the better. However, you need to follow these guidelines:
Here are some features of the web page that you need to experiment
- Use your textbook to see what tags and options you should and
shouldn't use. Don't use any deprecated tags or attributes and
avoid physical style tags. Don't use
(I'll explain why later in the course).
- Edit the file on your lab machine (in jEdit window). Save the file
and upload it to
rynite using scp.
- View your page at
Don't forget to reload it. Holding the shift key while you are
refreshing the page tells the server to update all the files used for
this page. While it amy not be necessary to do it at this point, it's
a helpful thing to know for the future, so keep this in mind.
- Check your page using the XHTML
validator. If it's not XHTML-compliant (other than the background
color error), correct the mistake.
- If there is anything you don't understand or if would like to know
- Change the first list in the page to be ordered. Make the
numbering system different from the second list (Roman numerals or
letters). See p. 219 for more. Feel free to experiment further with
- Change one of the headers in the page to a different level (say,
h4 to h3).
- Add a paragraph that has the following: two different
content-based tags (<cite>, <dfn>, or any other ones) and
a link to any web site. Make sure that your page is still
XHTML-compliant. The text can be anything, it doesn't have to be
related to the topic of the page.
- Make one of the images into a link (to any web page) by nesting it
a (anchor) element. Experiment with the border
attribute of the image (see p. 136). When you are done experimenting,
set the border to 0.
- Add some text to the paragraph containing the image
winter_walk.jpg. Experiment with align attribute (see
pp. 129-1135 of the textbook). Use only those that are supported by
mainstream browsers (see p. 130). These attributes are deprecated in
XHTML standard, so you may get an XHTML error when you validate your
page. Ignore it.
- Set the
width and the
size attributes of
<hr> element (see p. 114). You can also
experiment with the
- Change the table so that it has two rows, each with two cells: one
with image, and another one with text (type in any text you want, use
appropriate XHTML formatting). Then set the border, cellspacing, and
cell padding attributes of the table (see pp. 362-366).
- Set the bgcolor attribute of the text table cells (make them be
How to submit this lab
You have till 10pm on Friday to finish this lab. You
don't need to submit anything, simply leave your web page on
rynite. Don't change anything in it after the deadline until you
receive the grade. If you would like to experiment with HTML further,
simply make a copy of the HTML file with a different name and upload
it to rynite.
If you have any questions, please come to my office hours or e-mail
This page is a part of CSci 1101
course web site.
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.