CSci 1001 Lab 4: issues related
to computer security
- Work is done in groups of two or three, so find a partner or
partners to work with
- Read the following two articles:
Feel free to search for more information about the story if you are
interested. You might find the definition of data
- Discuss with your partner the following questions:
- According to the articles, what was the problem with the access to
the student data, who may have suffered in this situation, and who may
have improperly benefited?
- What was the role of computing technology in facilitating
- According to the articles, how was the technology abused?
- What mechanisms were in place to prevent improper access? Do you
feel that the mechanisms were sufficient? If not, what would you
suggest changing in these mechanisms?
- Do you think that an improper access to student records occurred? If
yes, who should be held responsible?
- Do you think that the role of computing technology in managing
student loans is mostly positive, mostly negative, or mixed? Briefly
explain your answer
- What would you suggest changing in the way student loans are
managed in order to prevent (or reduce) unauthorized or improper data
access? Your proposed changes may include laws, rules and
regulations, restructuring the organizations that handle the loans,
changes to database access control - anything that you feel can deal
with the security issues.
- At the end of the class send me an e-mail with brief answers to the
above questions. Make sure to include the names of everyone in
the group and CC to the entire group. If you and your
partner(s) disagree - that's OK, just
include all opinions.
If you didn't finish the work during the class time, please finish it
before the weekend in the same group or individually.
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.